Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Candy Scrounging with Gavin

It was an interesting night for Halloween this evening. We got to see good friends dressed up in humorous/disturbing/geeky/etc. ways and got to consume lots and lots of sugar-based products. Not a bad way to spend an evening. 

I think I'm most grateful for the small events that led to a small joy. Sabrina was acting like quite the little whinny brat in the run-up to heading out for Trick-or-Treating, so she ended up staying home with Marci as a punishment. Marci really didn't want to go out that evening anyway so this wasn't too big of a deal for her. 

Later when we got to Bro. Labor's house for the traditional hamburger/hot dog social that he is so famous for in our neighborhood Caleb met up with Kelly & Rachel and wanted to go candy scrounging with them (his haul ended up being easily 10 lbs. of candy). That left me and Gavin.

So, I got to spend about an hour or so walking around with Gavin and doing Trick-or-Treating by his standards and his methods. It was quite enjoyable and was a very pleasant way to spend some time with him. Anytime I get to observe Gavin and try to understand how his mind works is valuable to me. Tonight I learned that what might be obvious to him, is far from obvious to us and I need to find a way to let him be the one to point out the "obvious" to me as much as I can. 

I'm grateful for little lessons like that.

No comments: