Sunday, October 21, 2012

Awesome Parents

Can I just say that I have the best parents in the world?!? I really love them. We went to Disneyland last week as Jared already posted and we had a great time. My mom was able to come with us this time (along with Sheri and McKenna). It was so much fun to have them with us. My mom is not really one for theme parks. She has asked me several times over the last few years (as we have had our D-land passes - and have gone about 6 times a year) why we keep going? Aren't we sick of it yet? I always reply that we are not. She doesn't quite understand this. To her, this is not that fun of a vacation over and over again. Maybe once every few years, but not 6 times a year. But, she decided to come along so she could spend some time with Sheri and McKenna (who she doesn't get to see as much as me and my kids). Well, 2 straight days of Disneyland (at last 9 hours a day) is not easy. I am always tired and my legs and feet always ache, but especially hard for a 71 year old great grandma. My mom is in great shape and is very active, but it is just hard to do all the walking that you do at Disneyland. She was such a trooper. She even switched shoes with me when mine we rubbing blisters on my heels. It was so fun to have her with us. Now she understands better why we have spent the money and time and energy to go to Disneyland with our kids. They LOVE it!! It is fun to see everything through their eyes. They still get so excited about so many things there. They love the rides, the atmosphere, the sites and sounds and everything that goes on there. I was happy to have my mom experience that with them. I think it was also nice for her to see Sabrina and McKenna together - just loving being in that magical place and being so excited. At one point, it was just us girls and we had gone over to CA Adventure and as we walked in they were just starting a Pixar parade, so we decided to stop and let the girls watch. It was the most adorable thing of the whole trip. They stood next to each other and whispered to each other about what they were seeing and then they would break into dancing and jumping all around and the smiles on their faces just made everything worth it. I am so grateful that my mom was there to enjoy this time with us! It made it even more special. Even though my dad wasn't with us - we always feel his generosity and love. He always finds a way to do something special. A couple years ago, we had a girls weekend with my mom and sister and sisters-in-law and he made sure that he gave each of us some money to spend on ourselves for the weekend. He is so giving of his time, love and money. This time, as Jared already mentioned, he offered to pay for our hotel. We have been tight on money lately and even though we probably could have made better use of our money by staying home - he never says that, he just offers to help where he can. His kindness this weekend was overwhelming to me. No lectures of needing to use the money more wisely, just understanding that we do these trips to build a bond with our little family and he wanted to help with that. Thank you mom and dad for always being there for us and with us in your different ways and teaching me constantly about sacrifice and love and giving. I love you both!!

No comments: