Friday, October 5, 2012

Forgetfulness can be a blessing

I'm not sure, but I think I'm grateful today that I am an idiot. I'll let you be the judge.

I don't earn a lot of money. I earn enough to meet our needs and to be able to live fairly comfortably, but not much more than that. I have no complaints whatsoever. I know and am aware of many families that struggle far more than we do. However, there are still times when it's difficult to meet all of our financial obligations and still have enough money to see us through to the next paycheck. It's also fairly difficult when you know that it was poor financial discipline that created a the great majority of problems that have put us in our current financial state. Don't even mention all of my student loans that we are as yet still unable to address.

So, that is where we find ourselves for the next couple of weeks: hopefully enough to get by, but we're not quite sure. It was upon hearing that news that I offered up some money I had been carefully saving away for the last few months so that we would be in better shape (sadly, it was only $100 - which gives a better sense of how closely we budget our money than anything else I could say). My good wife refused to use the money knowing that I was saving up for some new camera equipment I've been wanting for a couple of years now.

As I was thinking about where I could find some surplus money it occurred to me, recent company policy has dictated that we pay for our internet service we use in our home office with our own money and the bank would reimburse us. Prior policy let me charge it off on my corporate card so I never even noticed that I was paying the bill. Anyhow, I was thinking: hey, I got charged last month and didn't submit the reimbursement, so that would be a nice $100 to have right now! So, I went in and started to pull my billing statement and went over to the corporate expense reimbursement site to submit the bill. I looked at the last time I submitted a reimbursement for my corporate card and it was for the month of June. I had been charged 3 months (at $100 per month) for my internet service and hadn't submitted a single invoice.

This is the part where I realize two things: 1) I'm and idiot; and 2) No, really, I'm an idiot.

However, the silver lining is thus: I'm really grateful that I was prompted to remember of the charge which I had completely forgotten about (remember, it was on a corporate card before and I didn't have to remember until a reminder from the company told me I needed to submit an invoice), and I'm grateful of the timing as it gives us some much needed financial relief at a very opportune time.

Yes, I see the hand of the Lord in all of this, but really....it's just more fun to say that I am grateful that I am able to find new and interesting ways of being an idiot.

No comments: