Friday, November 9, 2012

Resetting the ol' priority list

This has been a difficult week. Marci has been sick most of the week, Sabrina broke her face, we only have the one car (which, I cannot emphasize enough, stinks), because of the various goings-on I was unable to attend my choir rehearsals (which also stinks), further compounding all of that are the financial hits we're taking that we really just cannot afford right now.

Wrap it all up together, and it could have been a better week.  Marci said it best as we were talking about it, we feel like we simply "survived" the week.

However, there is one good thing to come out of all of it: I have realized how much of a slacker I am. By focusing on what is wrong I have lost focus on what is right. I have not adequately tried to remain grateful for, or even look closely for, the things that I am blessed with. This is a grave error on my part and certainly contributed to being less happy than I would have liked - even in the face of difficulty.

Therefore, today I am grateful for my trials. Not because I want them or any other foolish notion like that. I am grateful for them because they highlight the good things that I have in my life. They remind me that I need to focus on those good things. Unsurprisingly, the good things are the most stable and the least likely to cause  difficulty or sadness. I shouldn't be just "surviving" but finding joy anywhere it is available.

I'm grateful that there are things in this life that bring me joy under any circumstances.

No comments: