Friday, March 1, 2013

An understanding wife

I love to hike. I really do. I've spoken about it plenty before so this is nothing new. What may be somewhat unusual to know is that I feel guilty as heck every time I go. I feel guilty for leaving my wife behind and for not doing the many other things that could and should be done on a Saturday. It's one of the reasons I don't go as often as I'd like and it is the primary reason why I don't go camping very often (if at all). When I'm gone I miss soccer games for my daughter, getting things done around the house and the yard. There are often church activities that are going on that I feel somehow that I should be attending (especially as a member of the bishopric).

As much as I love it, it is still hard sometimes for me to leave and be gone all day.

I am now hiking with my son Caleb and occasionally with Gavin so the time should be more valuable to me and I should feel less guilt for leaving other concerns to wait for my return. I guess I just have an overdeveloped sense of responsibility. Besides, I love hanging out with my wife, so leaving her is the hardest thing to do.

However, I my wife also understands this and tries very hard to make me not feel so guilty. She knows I don't go every Saturday, and she knows I don't go year round (summer is a lousy time to hike in the desert). So, she indulges me in the hiking season and tries to be as understanding as possible and when I start to express how I don't feel like I "should" go, she is quick to point out that she is okay with it.

Thank you dear for valuing my love for hiking and finding ways to help me enjoy it more - even if I feel a bit guilty for leaving.


No comments: